Apply for an Exterior Demolition Permit

Both Residential and Commercial demolition work will require a permit. If you are looking to demolish a primary structure, porch, garage or building, this page can provide you with information on how to obtain a permit.

Interior demolition permits will be applied for as part of your building permit application. Please see the "Questions?" section below for more information.


Who can get a demolition permit?

Most requests for demolition permits come from professional contractors. But homeowners can apply for one too. The process is the same.

Application Steps:

Step 1.Health and safety certifications

Before you can demolish a building, you need to make sure that you won’t release harmful substances into the air, like asbestos. You’ll need:

  • A copy of your asbestos survey
  • An asbestos abatement letter
  • An air monitoring certificate 

Step 2.Insurance and workers' compensation information

We need to know that the people working on your project are insured. You’ll need to show us:

  • A liability insurance certificate that is specific to the location you’re working on that insures the City of Syracuse (as an additionally insured party under the plan)
  • Workers’ Compensation waiver (CE-200) (if the contractor doesn’t have Workers’ Compensation Insurance)
  • Certificate of Workers’ Compensation Insurance that names the City of Syracuse as the certificate holder
  • A Health Certificate from Onondaga County (call the Health Department at 315-435-1649)

Step 3.Water and hydrant information

Before a building can be demolished, you need to make sure the water supply is turned off. To do this:

  • Call the Water Department at 315-473-8340
  • Ask to have the fire and domestic water service turned off — as well as the supply to any nearby hydrants
  • Pay the $1,000 fee for turning off the domestic water supply

Step 4.Submit your request/Apply for your demolition permit

Please apply online here

Step 5.Schedule a site visit (if needed)

Smaller residential projects don’t need an inspection from the zoning office. But you will need an inspection if you’re working on a commercial project (including a residential building with 4 or more units).

If your demolition requires an inspection, call us at 315-448-8695 to set up an appointment.


For all Exterior Demo questions, contact Brian Eisenberg at

For Interior Commercial Demo questions, contact Chad Beckford at

For Interior Residential Demo questions, contact Teri Bliss at