2022 "Home for the Holidays" Tree Lighting Celebration Announcement
Published on November 10, 2022
As the assembly of the Clinton Square Christmas tree begins, Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh announced plans today for the in-person “Home for the Holidays” Tree Lighting celebration on Friday, Nov. 25 at 6:00 p.m. in Clinton Square. The 42-foot-tall tree in the heart of downtown Syracuse will remain the focal point of celebrations, continuing the long tradition of lighting the tree the day after Thanksgiving.
“This year’s ‘Home for the Holidays’ tree lighting ceremony delivers all the traditions the community cherishes, along with new entertainment to enhance the annual celebration,” said Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh. “With the support of local businesses and other community partners, we are excited to once again bring everyone together to enjoy this spirited, affordable and family-friendly kick-off to the holidays.”
Returning to co-host will be 95X’s Marty and Shannon. A pre-show will include Gary Carpentier, a former contestant on NBC’s “The Voice” from 6:00 to 6:20 p.m., closing with a performance by Trumptight315 at 7:15 p.m.
Three area youth will join Mayor Ben Walsh and Deputy Mayor Sharon Owens on stage to help light up the Christmas Tree at the tree lighting celebration. The selected youth will each be winners from the City Parks Department Winter Art Contest. One winner will be selected from each of the following age categories: 4–6; 7–9; 10–12.
How to enter:
- Youth between the ages 4-12 need to create a freehand drawing showcasing this year's theme of "Winter Activities".
- Take a picture of your child’s drawing and e-mail it to: ParksYouthRecreation@syrgov.net by Friday, Nov. 18 at 5 p.m.
- Make sure you include: name, age, school, parent name, phone number, and e-mail.
Traffic and Parking
There is no charge for street parking on Nov. 25, but the following streets will be closed from 3:00 to 8:00 p.m.:
- 200 block of West Water Street, from Clinton Street to Franklin Street
- Clinton Street, from West Genesee Street to Washington Street
- Erie Blvd. West, from Clinton Street to Franklin Street
- Clinton Street, from Herald Place to Genesee Street
- Salina Street, from Willow Street to Washington Street
- Genesee Street, from Franklin Street to Salina Street
- James Street, from Salina Street to Warren Street
- 100 block of Water Street and East Genesee Street, from Salina Street to Warren Street
- Erie Blvd. East, from Salina Street to Warren Street
Related Events and Activities
Clinton Square Ice Skating
The Clinton Square Ice Rink will be open for skating on Nov. 25, after with extended hours until 9:30 p.m., weather permitting. The general admission fee is $5.00. The admission fee for children (12 and under) and seniors (55 and older) is $3.00. In addition to admission, skate rentals cost $5.00. Credit card and cash payments are accepted. Pre-registration is not required. Patrons can call 315-423-0129 for more information or visit www.syr.gov/clintonsquareicerink for a full list of hours.
Sunnycrest Ice Skating
The Sunnycrest Ice Rink, located on the City's east side next to Henninger High School is also open Nov. 25 for ice skating, from 12:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 7:15 to 10 p.m. The general admission fee is $5.00. The admission fee for children (12 and under) and seniors (55 and older) is $3.00. Skate rentals cost $5.00. Credit card and cash payments are accepted. Pre-registration is not required. Patrons can call 315-473-4696 for more information or visit www.syr.gov/sunnycresticerink for a full list of hours.
Additionally, the Syracuse Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs will be offering Holiday Hayrides at Burnet Park on Dec. 9, 10, 16 & 17 from 6:30 to 8:45 p.m. The horse-drawn wagon rides through an illuminated Burnet Park will conclude with a visit with Santa. Rides are $2 per person or $10 for families of five or more. Pre-registration is required and opens on Monday, Nov. 14 at 8:00 a.m.
For more information on the event or related winter programs call the Syracuse Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs at 315-473-4330 or visit goto.syr.gov/clintonsquaretreelighting