Originally a traffic circle surrounded by Victorian era homes, Columbus Circle has also been known as Library Circle (1895) and St. Mary’s Circle (1901). As cultural and institutional facilities such as churches, a library and a courthouse were constructed, residential properties were razed and the traffic circle underwent design changes. The most significant design, standing since 1934, is the statue of Columbus and its associated fountain. The circle was paved over, closing the area to through traffic.
The statue, sculpted by Lorenzo Baldo, is surrounded by buildings designed by renowned architects such as Archimedes Russell, Melvin King, James Randall and Michael O’Connor. Located in both a National Register and Local Preservation District, Columbus Circle is a fine place to enjoy entertainment programming including the annual Arts & Crafts Festival.
298 E. Jefferson Street, Syracuse, NY 13202 View Map
298 E. Jefferson Street ,
Syracuse, NY 13202
City of Syracuse parks are open daily from dawn to dusk.